Tick-Tock

My dad taught me how to tell time.

He also taught me my multiplication table. 

I was better at the multiples than at the time-telling.

To this day, I will glance at a clock, blink twice, and interpret the time.  It takes me a half-moment longer than anyone else, it seems, to read that clock, which is a little awkward at my age.

Like most small children, I learned how to count money quickly.  But knowing my coins is what gave me a lot of trouble as my father and I sat at the kitchen table.

He drew pictures of clocks, all with different times.  And he was ever-so -patient with me as I did my very best to understand why there were 12 digits, why there were 2 hands- "why, daddy, why?"

And I am sure he sighed with regret when he took on the task of explaining what a quarter hour was.  I distinctly remember glowing with pride when I understood that a quarter hour MUST mean 25 minutes!  Because, of course, a quarter equals 25!!

He really, really, really struggled with that one.  I didn't quite accept that a quarter hour was 15 minutes.  I didn't do very well on that lesson....

But how wonderful that he took the time, anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These Words Are Mine

The Bully Crowd

Thank You, My Friend