Le' Crew





I worked at Mimi's Cafe for 6 years. In those years I worked at several locations, including my traveling stints as a corporate trainer opening up new locations. I have met many, many, many, many Mimi's workers in those 6 years and 5 locations. There are a dozen that I remember well and call close friends. In a few short weeks I will be in Rachel's wedding- who I met at Mimi's in San Diego. And then there are the Rancho girls. You know who you bossy brats are. ;)

Mimi's Rancho was a unique place, indeed. Like most restaurant workers everyone was close and yet there existed these fun, silly, and very non-sensical rivalries. You know.... day versus night, for example?? (Mimi's workers nodding their heads in unison). What is even more unique about the Mimi's workplace is the ratio of females to male servers and hosts. Maybe it was the cummerbund or the colored bowtie (first gen), but it didn't attract many male workers.

(I see someone raising their hand) "What is first gen, Cambria?"

First gen means you are old school Mimi's Cafe crew. It means you remember when we sold lemon cake, pecan bars, and had an array of "cute" aprons. When I was in San Diego, we had promo games wherein the prize was a newly designed apron. As if we didn't work hard enough with all those dayum toast, tea, and split meal requests, we would slave away for a prize apron or bowtie. Silly? Of course. But it was also fun.

Both first gens and second gens remember the days before a full bar, and we still moan about how "lucky" new genners have it with the full bar (full bar = bigger tips.... theroretically anyway). First & 2nds know what a winery or greenhouse is. We might still crave the blackout cake or chocolate maui pie (Sueann) and we know the seasonal muffins when we come in. We don't think new genners give us the impeccable service we once gave when we were there. Yea. When we say it out loud or read it to ourselves we realize we sound like old ladies talking about yesteryear and how things just aren't the same anymore. But.... it's ok. And it's refreshing and it's fun and it is the tie that binds us. After all, few people in this world know how AWFUL it is to work Thanksgiving Day at a place that serves "guests" and "folks" that, coincidently, eat out only on Thanksgiving Day.

And back to the reflection of the male/ female ratio from the Mimi's days gives one an interesting, anthropological look into working relationships in restaurants. There weren't many, if any, people dating one another at Mimi's (especially Rancho) which allowed us gals the comfort of sweating profusely while rushing through a Sunday a.m. shift (or the Thursday night evening rush). We worked hard and, in hindsight, I think we all wonder how we worked there for so many years when we could have been working in fine dining making twice as much for half the work.

But.... maybe there is a reason.

Friendship.

We liked one another.

Ok....ok....ok... most of us liked one another. And if we didn't like one another, then some reveled in the joy of talking about one another. We were girls, after all, plus the occasional boy (hi Knut...). This was, after all, a restaurant environment and not a church social so being friends wasn't high on the priority list for some. But.... I made friends there and I am all the better for it. Even those of us who "hated" Mimi's have maintained friendships from that place. It has personally brought me friends I wouldn't have ever known otherwise. And now... with the advent of social networking sites I get to reconnect with friends of yore to see how much and... how little.... has changed.

I get to see cute wittle babies, husbands, sanchos, boos and burgeoning careers. I get to look at the faces that made me laugh, and made me want to throw hot tea on them from time to time. (I kid, I kid). I look at the families and vacation photos, wedding pics and updates on all things "Crew". People look good- likely from no longer being on "the meal plan" and eating their own home-cooked goodness at home. People look healthy and happy and mature. Maybe just maturer. Or more mature. Whichever is grammatically correct and true...

Some of my closest friends are from my serving days. First gen and second gen Mimi's cafe crew, where you at?? HOLLA!! I have become close with extended Mimi's Cafe crew who worked with so-and-so at another location (K and Teeny, that be yous!)

Oddly enough, when we get together, our days aren't spent talking about Mimi's. We have sustained and strengthened these friendships into new, exciting, and slightly geriatric relationships. ;)

I have spent many of my most memorable life moments with some of these gals. I will always remember my birthday in Vegas when we all huddled together on the dancefloor at Rain (where you at? Where you at?) I will remember the trip to L.A. where we rented a limo and the theme was for everyone to wear pink and black. We thought we were the hottest things since sliced bread and we pretty much were.

In the later years I became closer with my "ring" sisters (where you at? where you at?) and we have seen one another through relationships, engagements, babies, marriages, gardening tips (hahaha) and what can only be considered the best country-themed bachelorette party EVER. We have done our Vegas stint to see one of the best looking blondes in the world (love you, Rose...) and sunbathed on beaches and poolside together.

Without them..... who would I be??? Wearing a costume alone is never as fun as it is in a group. Especially a group of gals who all once worked for Le' Cafe.

Comments

jeanette russo said…
love this one!!!!......especially the Knut shout out!.....gotta love the "out of the cumberbund" look that mimis men have!....hahaha!...without that place most of by besties would not be in my life and my boo would not be in my life....
It sucked most times when i worked there.....but i wouldnt trade those times for the world!!....(yeah yeah...ok Rob Bowman! you win!)
Loves you!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story