The Layoff: Many Days Later

Today I turned down a great job offer...

and it felt good.

It felt grown-up.  I felt proud of myself for knowing that having anything less than a great feeling about something wasn't worth it for me and fortunately I have a hot and wonderful husband who doesn't mind me taking my time in the job hunt to choose something that would make me happy.

The money was great.  The perks and benefits were tremendous.  It was twice what I am making on unemployment and yet, everytime I thought about it it made my palms sweat.

The downside to the position was that they wanted me to relocate to the OC.  For most people this doesn't sound too tragic, but, for me, it made me sad. 

Aside from the fact that I didn't think it should matter that I lived in the OC or the IE, the fact is, we can't just up and move.  We have a house.  A beautiful house.  And aside from being beautiful it is comfortable.  My cats thrive here and can hunt mice all night long.  My dog has a yard to wee in and a tree to sniff.  And yesterday, on Mother's Day, we planted our first orange tree.  An orange tree that will remind me of my father because we loved our oranges, and remind me of my mother because it was planted on that very special holiday.

And in another corner, a small palm that my in-laws planted on their trip from the U.K., the land of no-palms.

And last weekend my husband made waffles adorned with strawberries from our garden.  I am convinced they are the world's best strawberries, and I didn't want to miss out on that again.

So what happened? 

The big wigs put me through 5 interviews, of which I knew I did well.  I saw their eyes glow during my presentations and interviews.  And it wasn't because I am so amazing that I wowed them, it was because I am the best candidate for that position based on experience. 

And last week I flew to New York to speak with Human Resources and go through the process of meeting everyone worth knowing in all the departments... The offer was set to come on Friday, and they wanted to know whereabouts in the OC I planned to move.  They were giving me a 3-month window to find a place in coastal Cali. and rent out my current, lovely, large, accomodating home.

And on Friday as I waited for the firm offer to come in, I pre-empted their call by calling them.  Ultimately, I let them know I wasn't in a position to move.  Aside from the affordability factor, I just couldn't see sacrificing my personal happiness for a taste of professional happiness.  Been there, done that.

It involved a lot more travel.  Utah, Orgegon, all of Southern California.  And a million years ago I would have thought that was exactly what I wanted.  A million years before I met my husband, my cats, my dog, a palm tree, an orange tree and the best strawberries in the whole-wide-world.


Comments

Lesley said…
Your house sounds like a dream! I would love to have waffles with strawberries from my garden, but I don't have one, because I think anything I would grow in my backyard would taste like exhaust. :( (We face a fairly busy street.) If there's one thing I think we've all learned as we get older -- am I really into my 30s now? -- it's that we really have to do what makes us happy. It's the only thing that matters. Not what is "supposed" to make us happy. What truly makes us happy! And it sounds like you know what that is, which is a great thing.

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story