Matt: A Dating Story

I once loved a Matt. 

I think so anyway.

Not the one from juior high who I was majorly crushing on, but the Matt that I met at the tender age of 21.

I was with Maria at our Wednesday night haunt, "Godfather's".  This is a decade ago before that place turned into a total disaster.  I swear there weren't homeboys there when we used to go.

At 21 I was skinny, and of course now that I'm no longer a size 7 I totally need to let everyone know that for a year I was. 

I didn't have crows feet when I smiled at 21, also something I think you need to know to set the stage.

And there he was.

I wouldn't have noticed Matt, but he and his friend sent a round of Bud Lights to Maria and I.  We smiled.  Maria had a cute, bashful smile- the one she's always had that made boys swoon.  I am certain I wore my desperate smile.  The one that says, "WHO, ME?? ME? ME?  OVER HERE, OVER HERE, OVER HERE!!".

Way to play hard-to-get, Cambria.

And that's where it started.

For 2 years I would see Matt at the haunts.  He would send a drink, we would sometimes talk in the parking lot, we would dance together, we would catch up when I came up from San Diego State where I was a student.  He would invite me to block parties in Chino and once we totally even made out.

When I was 21, he was in his late 20's.  He might have even been 30.  Woosh!  That seemed like light years away but it made him uber cute and Clive Owen'ish.  (I love Clive Owen.)

The stars never really aligned for us.  I am quite certain, looking back, he had a girlfriend out in the universe.  Maybe even that one server at Godfather's.  That woman gave me the dirtiest looks when I talked to him.

So I don't believe in love at first sight, but I do believe in love at first chat.

I loved Matt.

I think so anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

The Bully Crowd