Degree

It was on Friday night.

We laughed a lot, perhaps made delirious by the sweet smell of men that were familiar-yet-elusive and desirable.

It could have been the wine,  it could have been the great company of old friends and conversations and shared opinions with other women.

I disagreed with Ariel more than once, though...

"Too sweet" or.... "smells like a jelly bean...."

The ones I couldn't put down were the ones that smelled like a man's deodorant, hidden among 75+ samples that scattered in baskets around the coffee table.

There we sat around a table full of scents as we sampled the fragrances from a friend's Scentsy collection, eager to fill out our order forms for the smells that would soon promise to envelop our homes.

I opted for the "Iced Pine" option, which always reminds me of the home I have not yet lived in and lingered around the fragrances that smelled of citrus and orange peels.  The idea of the smell of "Orange You Glad" wafting throughout my home made me smile and reminded me of the home I lived in many years ago.

As I sorted through the myriad of options with clever names, I soon settled on the basket that contained an array of smells that reminded me of a man just out of the shower.  Even Sayler seemed pleased by my choices, carefully turning the lids from the samples and inhaling the aroma of someone mommy strongly desires.

And it wasn't my intention to fall in love.

But there I sat with "Simply Irresistible" in my right hand and "My Dear Watson" in the left, carefully weighing my options.  I turned to Ariel for her advice, and she, too, was left speechless, re-freshing her olfactory nerves with coffee beans and leaning again for the scent-test.

After 3 lean-ins she was still undecided.

So I ordered both.

And I suppose I could have settled for the holiday scents of Christmas and Fall: Peppermint and fall leaves and "Central Park Pralines", all of which were delectable and warm and made me crave a long lingering hug over hot chocolate.

But I somehow settled on the purchase of the "Believe" warmer and a Scentsy bar that reminded me of Degree Deodorant.






It's the one made with the fragrance of Cool Water by Davidoff cologne. I recognize the scent  immediately on strangers, including on the dude in line at the UPS store, where, in an effort to confirm my stinking suspicions I pretended to lean in to grab a pen and inadvertently grazed his arm with my breast.

Jeez.

It's a rare find and not like the fragrance-less one my husband wears, but I always blush when I smell a dude in Cool Water or anything reminiscent.

I look forward to my home soon smelling like my dream dude.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend