Tamayo and the Bandid

It sounds like a novela, doesn't it?

Tamayo and the Bandid

But it's just 2 of my favorite words at the moment.

Like a novela, the words are sometimes filled with drama.  Only moments ago, in fact, she wailed it.  "Baaaaaaaannnnnnndiiiiiiiddddd"

And that was my daughter begging for a Band-Aid: Her current obsession.

They generally go on her thumb. Gently wrapped and then unwrapped and re-wrapped onto a different finger.  If CPS knew how many bandids we bought they would assume abuse.

But the only abuse around here is to my pocketbook for my daughter's obsession with owies and bruises and even the non-existent ones that must be bubbling in her blood, sight unseen.  We buy many Band-Aids, or... rather... adhesive bandages.

Unbeknownst to her, her last bandid was of the off-brand variety. Please don't tell her. She has an uncanny ability to identify knock-offs and sub- quality items.  In fact, when I buy a variety pack of yogurts even she scoffs at the peach flavor and insists on the strawberry. She usually pawns all of her orange candy off on me and guises her offering as a sweet gesture.  I got Sayler's number, though. I'm totally putting the off-brand bandids in the on-brand Band-Aid box.  That's how we do until I see a legitimate scrape or cut that warrants the cum laude of the adhesive bandage world.

And the other favorite word is "tamayo", which is the day that comes after today. She seemed resolute when I heard her say it for the first time, as I gently explained that she couldn't have any more Halloween candy until tomorrow and needed to eat "food" for dinner.  "Tamayo, Tamayo, Tamayo..." she said over and over, as though she were trying to talk herself into the unfortunate reality that she would have to wait such an incredibly long time to savor the sweetness of another dumdum. 

And those are my 2 current favorites.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story