Morning Laugh

It's the best way to start a weekend.

A 7 a.m. laugh.

At some God-forsaken hour earlier I heard my husband's alarm go off.  Still half-asleep, I wondered "is it not Saturday?..."  and realized that an early morning alarm for Lloyd on his day off is not uncommon.

An English match for his sometimes winning, oftentimes losing hometown team that he insists on watching win (or lose) live.

But I slept in, curled up next to our little girl who likes tosleepthisclosetoyouatalltimes.

And when hunger finally beckoned me to get up, the way it does every morning, I retreated downstairs and knew my husband would be in the garage watching soccer and/or playing music- enjoying the quiet of the weekend morning to himself.

It was at that 7 a.m. moment I opened the garage door to find Lloyd laid out on the concrete, acoustic guitar clutched in hand still echoing a chord though he was not strumming.  He was somewhere between the fetal position and ab crunch and I was at a loss for words.

I had no idea what I was seeing, so could only stare and wonder if he had been pretending to be a rock star in concert- the way the lead guitar player dramatically lies on the floor with zeal and vigor. And since I oftentimes pretend to be a back-up dancer for an 80's pop star when I think no one is around I couldn't pass judgement.

"I'm not going to even ask..." I quipped.

And then we both laughed from our bellies: deeply and spontaneously.

I closed the door to give him his privacy, still pondering what he had been up to... had he been trying out a way to create a new sound with his musical instrument?  It was the only alternate explanation I could come up with.

And it was a short time later that he came into the house where I was equally enjoying time to myself to catch up on an episode of "The Following".

"I missed the chair" he said.

"What?"

"Well it rolls... it's those damn wheels... it's the kind of thing you hope no one ever sees happen."

And I smiled, because it all made sense in that moment.

He missed the chair and fell down.

He was slightly embarrassed; I was thoroughly relieved.

He missed the chair.

It was that simple, but the image.... the image and shared laugh made my morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story