When I Was Young...

When I was young I loved to roller-skate. I remember my first "real" good pair. 4 wheels, 6th grade, hot pink laces with hot pink matching wheels on white. I even remember what I wore to my 6th grade graduation gig at Roller City- those perfectly pink and white skates with white shorts and a hot pink top. I remember my first birthday party. I was seven and I got a small machine that blew up balloons. I remember for years my mom's day off work was Tuesday, and my 5 brothers and sisters and I would always pretend to be sick on Tuesdays so we could stay home with her. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

I remember my first pair of cowboy boots. They were white leather. I was in 5th grade and they had those little leather streamers down the sides. It wasn't the fashion to wear them at the time, but I wanted them and I always wore them. I must have been on to the trend very early on! I remember my dad taught me to ride a bike. It was my half-sister, Margo who taught me to tie my shoes and took me to see my favorite Disney movie "The Little Mermaid". It was my sister, Camille, who took my to my first and many subsequent baseball games. I remember she told me I had to pick a favorite team, and I picked the Giants. I think I just liked their uniforms. When I was young, I loved how pretty my sister, Charmaine's, handwriting was. I always wanted handwriting as pretty as hers. It was my brother, Corbin, that I first went on "Montezuma's Revenge" at Knott's Berry Farm with. It was during the Knott's Scary Farm for that year. It was that same visit I cried like a spoiled brat when my parents divided and conquered the park. He took a few of the kids, my mom took the rest of us. I wanted to go with him and I was blubbering about it. I wanted him to win me a prize and I told her she couldn't.... But she did. A stuffed ghost. It was perfect.

It was my brother, Chris, who always had such an active imagination. To this day he is always trying new tricks. Being the youngest, I was always the guppie. After reading a book on hypnotizing, I was the first to lie on that bottom bunk to be his patient. He wanted it to work so badly, so for a while I pretended it did. I was the first in the milk crate attached to the pulley in the garage, and the milk crate attached to the pulley in the backyard between two large trees. But I wasn't always the first at things....

I was always last to pick from Charmaine's Barbies when we would play.... she had so many... and they were all so pretty. I never seemed to end up with the good cars when Corbin and I would play with his Matchbox collection. I somehow always ended up choosing last. It was my sister, Cherise, who had a great music CD collection... and when she was out with her friends I would "borrow" those 80's hair band CD's. I also had crushes on her boyfriends. They were so cute.

My favorite days were when my half-brothers Paul and Carlos would come over to our house and they would jam with my dad. Singing and guitar playing... it was awesome. My favorite song they would sing and jam to was "Little Sister" by Elvis. I still think of them all jamming together every time I hear it. I remember my dad was always whistling or singing while he was around the house. He used to sing under his breath "You Are My Shining Star".

I still like to hear the story about when my dad cut his thumb off using the power saw in the yard. We all had to look for it, and it was Cherise that found it. Not to worry, readers. It was reattached. My siblings love to tell my friends I was born at home. True Story. They like to elaborate by further telling I was born on the floor. True Story. Cherise is always the one to take it a step further by saying she didn't vacuum that day. True Story???

As I get older and make new memories, my younger days seem farther away. These are some of the things.... I hope to never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story