The Bird

Although it is early yet (7:15 a.m.) I feel a sense of purpose for the day. It is a typical fall work day, driving to one of my college accounts and yet inside I feel an extra sense of determination.

It was 9 years ago on this day that my father left us. It is strange and wonderfully sad that life moves on when we let go of those we love most. Today I woke up bright-eyed and bushy tailed, determined. I started the morning with a cup of coffee and online bill paying. As I sat at my computer screen I heard a scuffle downstairs.

20 minutes ago I managed to free a bird from the clutches of my cat's mouth. I chased it back and forth between the family room and kitchen. An attractive baby bird with its life ahead.

He finally saw the open window whose screen pryed loose easily under my morning chilled hands. As he fluttered away, I thought of my father. I thought of the bird.

9 years ago today I could not breathe as I watched life slip away. Today, I watched life carry on.

Today I am determined to breathe. I will be purposeful and happy. I will carry on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend