Another One Bites The Dust






Saturday was beautiful wedding day.  Man, I love weddings.  It's pretty weird because as a kid I despised weddings.  Literally, no lie, at every wedding I felt nauseated and bored.  I didn't tear up.  I didn't feel elated for the happy 80's and 90's couples.  I just wanted to pass out.

A few years ago it all changed.  I suddenly liked weddings.  You know, it's a celebration, and no disrespect to the married couple and the vows, but the booze and DJ at the reception really helps.  I also developed a new-found appreciation for all the hard work that goes into wedding planning after Lloyd and I planned our own.  I sure do love me some weddings.

And now I have been married about 6 months and I am totally, like, totally married.  I looked onto the dance floor longingly at the young, naive singles.  I had my brightest smile on when my husband and I broke it down on the dance floor but then looked out at male friends and it dawned on me that it was no longer appropriate to drop-it-like-its hot with them like we used to.  They, too, are married now.  Everyone is so married.  And while I don't mind in the slightest who my husband dances with and laughs with, I know some women get strange about such encounters.  It's that animal instinct to protect what's ours, I suppose.  Perhaps I lack that sense of possession and jealousy because I am a vegetarian.  I really don't know.  I just love to shake it.  Shake it like a polaroid picture....  And it was funny watching us all dance with our respective partners, and from time-to-time make eye contact and nod.  Nod as if to say, "yes I remember when we all used to go clubbing together.... and everyone danced in a circle.... and broke it down.... and made references to our fleeting dating escapades."  And here we were now, happily married but still remembering the other good times. 

And so I watched one of my best guy friends get married to the loveliest gal ever.  Our conversations shifted to the "We's".  "We should get together soon".  "We are thinking about having kids in a year". "We bought a house..." 'We, we, We, we, We, we, We, we".  I smiled in the comfort that a best friend was now an official "We". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story