My Daddy Hates These Boots


O.K. so as long as I am walking down 80's memory lane, let's take a stroll through one of the best movies of all time:  Footloose.  

If you disagree, run away, run far, far away.  Your kind aren't welcome here. 

I'm kidding.  Now I feel bad.  Please continue. 

Footloose stars Kevn Bacon in his sizzlin'est role, ever. (Get it?  Sizzlin'?  Bacon?).

He is this kid who is rough around the edges and he comes into this quiet, conservative town and shakes things up.  I mean, who doesn't want to be the person to shake things up???  And he's so foxy.  Like, in that yellow Volkswagon Beetle with those dance moves.  Those dance moves.... oh, those dance moves. 

As I mentioned yesterday,  when you are a kid you don't realize people wear costumes and wigs- you think it's all natural.  And then with Kev. I thought he really could do somersaults off of warehouse beams- This was before I understood what stunt doubles were.  (flashback to the scene where he's fist-punching the air and doing his acrobatic routine where he *thinks* no one is watching).  But, yeah, someone is watching.  it's the chick he's pining after, Ariel Moore; the girl who wears the saucy red boots.  The girl with the uber-conservative father.

At one point in the film she says "My Daddy Hates These Boots", and sometimes as I put my own cowboy boots on I say it out loud, "My Daddy Hates These Boots", even if no one else can hear me. 

I got my first pair of cowboy boots in elementary school, in homage to Lori Singer's character.  I thought if I could just have cowbow boots, I could someday attract a dude who shook the town up with all his forbidden dancing.  Of course, there were uncontrollable variables that prevented that from happening:

1. I didn't live in a town that forbid dancing
2. I was like, 10, and my own daddy might not have been too keen on me dating
3. My boots were white (Payless didn't carry red ones)

So now you know my favorite music video, and now one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.  What can I say, the 80's were awesome.  This film also had a scene with one of my top 5 songs of all time "Hurts So Good" by John Cougar Mellencamp, or J.C. Mel to me.   You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered the soundtrack didn't carry this song.  This song from the scene where Ren McCormack (Kevin) and Ariel were dancing at some seedy bar.  Amazing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story