Turkeys & Birthdays...

Thanksgiving is a special time of year, isn't it?  It's like a legitimate reason to pile your plate high with carbs and pie and no one looks at you like you must be with child.  You wear stretchy pants, or at least make a reference to the episode of 'Friends' where Joey wears his Thanksgiving stretchy pants.

I have a tendency to not think of Thanksgiving completely in the traditional sense, but not to say it is any less wonderful.  My brother was born on Thanksgiving day many a moon ago.  My nephew was also born on Thanksgiving not-quite-so-many moon ago.  One of my besties was born on Thanksgiving, as well.  So I think of birthday week when all those orangey-reddish table linens start to be pulled from everyone's decor closet.  You know, you have to make that conscience effort to remember that it is someone's very own personal special day, in addition to the holiday.

So Thanksgiving means being Thankful for all the typical "Let's Give Thanks" goodness, and being thankful for those whose birthdays inevitably fall right at this special time each year.  You give Thanks that they are a part of your life, and God graced us with their good presence just as the turkeys, or tofurkeys (for us vegetarians) come piping out of the oven, so they too came piping out of an oven.


I am thankful for these members of my family.  My nephew, now a junior in high school, who I will always remember as the little boy who carried around a hockey stick saying "hockey, hockey".  He took longer than some little ones to be potty-trained, despite the strong efforts of his mom, my sister, and my parents.  This little boy who now stands at 6'3 and towers over us.  This boy with his round face that has now gone slender ever since he took a liking to girls.  This boy who I took to his first concert to see a girl he was majorly crushing on: Hilary Duff, when he was just  9 or 10 years old.

And then there is my brother, for whom I am thankful, particularly when I have a question that involves legal matters.  My brother, the genious, who can barely balance his checkbook and reminds me of "Ross" from friends.  He bores me to death at times with his super knowledge on all things "law", but he is literally the most generous person I have ever known.  He will give you the food from his plate, the shirt off his back and the roof over his head without asking why you need it.  He's just that kind of guy.  When I was a little girl, he was the one with the active imagination.  The one that wanted to know how things worked and read copious amounts of literature.  Not that he was all bits of awesome.  He was strange and a bit of a miscreant that found himself into bit of trouble here and there; the stories that he tells leave you wide-eyed and laughing.  He has grown up a ton since his days as a mis-guided teen.  He is a wonderful father, son and brother.

Lastly, but certainly not least-ly is the friend that you wish you could be more like.  A bestie who always looks amazing and has a wonderful sense of humor.  She is so creative and she makes the most amazing cakes.  Like me, she loves a good theme and costume opportunity, just one of the many things that solidifies our friendship.  She is the kind of person you would love to hate as a female, but you just can't, because she is just that awesome.  And anyway, if you hated her I'd have to punch you in the face, as per the rule book of besties.  You can't quite figure out whether you prefer her as a blonde or brunette because she is stunning in whatever color that adorns her head.  She has a heart of gold.  She often says, "between all of us we can take on the world", and she is absolutely right.  The force is strong in that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story