Blind-Date

My work often takes me into the UPS store, several times a week in fact.  Last week, on a day like any other, I stood in there with my hair in a loose, unkempt bun.  My pants and shirt were hideously mis-matched and I had dust on my hands and face.  Despite my tragic appearance, I managed to meet "The One", or, at the very least, someone I thought could be that special someone.

I recognized his accent.  It was similar to my husband's.  I couldn't help but listen in on him asking the worker the most cost-effective way to ship large items from the U.K.  I was intrigued.

Why was this dude attempting to ship items from the U.K to the nether regions of Moreno Valley?  His kind are unusual in the Inland Empire.  The foreigners opt for the bright lights of Hollywood or the beaches of Orange County when they visit or immigrate to California.  I was thoroughly excited.  I wanted to know more.

As is often the case in the life of moi, I initiated a conversation.  I wasn't the slightest bit nervous.  It felt right.  I asked him from whereabouts in the U.K. he was shipping and moving and he provided a few further details.  I offered to get him more information from my husband, since I had overheard him saying he had only been in California a week.  Before we parted ways, I asked him for his email address, and... what can I say, I couldn't wait to contact him.

I emailed him from the parking lot.  I invited him over, to which he said he would be delighted.  The wheels for this new relationship were in motion.  I was elated.

I had invited him over for our "Thankful for Friends" celebration.  He was young and seemed harmless enough and, to be honest, I was really trying to stir up a bromance between Lloyd and him.  I know it seems rash and hasty, but like any loving wife, I just want my husband to be happy.  He has met some great friends here in California, but I know that there is nothing like having friends that remind you of "home".  Friends that have been to the same parts of the world, friends that watch the footie over pints at the pub, friends that don't grimace when you are mid-sentence to ask "what did you say?"

I know my husband gets home-sick.  Not that a random stranger would necessarily make up for the family and friends he misses, but since he is considerably less invasive and less likely to grab the bull by the horns, I did.  I had talked to this random dude for all of 2 minutes and knew he was a musician who was moving from the same general area as Lloyd.  That was enough for me.  And besides, it was Thanksgiving week and it seemed like the noble thing to do to invite someone who was in a strange place at a festive time.

So to wrap it up.... things went well.  My girlfriends at the party thought I was a bit crazy, but once they saw his harmless demeanor, they knew what I meant when I said I was fairly certain he wouldn't murder us all.  I walked in on the 2 of them bromancing over guitars and recording systems at one point in the evening, and I knew I had made the right choice.  They made plans to have a jam session when  he has fully moved from the U.K.

I'm feeling pretty smug about this match.  A bit, "I Love You, Man", but so be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend