The San Diego Apartment: Part 1


When I was in college I had the fortunate pleasure of living with girlfriends that I had known since high school.  I know for every college kid out in the world, there are a number of nightmare room-mates, but... uh-un.  Not mine. 

I was lucky.  Super lucky.  I haven't thought about that apartment for years now, but I recently had the esteemed pleasure of hanging out with these roomies and it brought back a flood of warmth and memories.


What I will always remember most about that apartment was the getting ready scenes.  4 single gals ready for a night on the town.  We would turn on the music, and 9 times of out 10 we played the soundtrack to "The Beach".  I'm not sure why we never got tired of that soundtrack.  It was just awesome.  So the CD played, on loop, while we prepped and pampered.

We rifled through one another's closets.  We chose our outfits.  We took turns in the shower, generally based on who was going to do what with their hair that night to sort out who needed dry hair fastest (it's a system only women can understand).  And no matter how hard we tried to avoid it, we ALWAYS blew a fuse.  No.  Really.  ALWAYS!

Imagine for a moment a CD playing in one room, the T.V. on simulataneously although no one was watching it.  Two bathrooms with 2 hairdryers blowing hot air simultaneously.  Curling irons, flat irons, and the clothing iron running hot.  And suddenly.... it all turning off. 

But we didn't panic.  It was just another part of the routine for us.  And someone would have to go into the bedroom closet to revive the circuits.  And suddenly, we were back in business, and ready to break some hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

The Bully Crowd