The Dinosaur (For Maria)

Because Maria said I needed to blog about this....  here we go.

The call was for my husband, but my comadre answered.  This is always a great surprise for me.  I call Lloyd at work to get an answer to something :"did the cat get his medicine? Did you take out the trash?" and we don't chatter on and on about much else.   When my bff, his co-worker, answers, I get to catch up on gossip and the goings-on of life.

She asked how it was going in my quest for a new job and I told her how flustering it was to be looking for a job on the dinosaur.  The dinosaur is my desktop computer.

My company from which I am now departed supplied us with laptops.  A shiny machine that glowed in the backdrop of an episode of "The Bachelor".  Most of my best work was done on my leather couch, curled up with "So You Think You Can Dance" and other favorite tivo'd shows playing in the background.  

The internet connection was hot fast.  My cute, compact little laptop that saw me through work sales and facebooking my friends.  This cute laptop that was taken back at the finale of my post.

I am now back to using the dinosaur.  It is funny because I used that dinosaur 3 years ago to find a job and it seemed to work out just fine.  I can't recall, now, if the dino took so damn long to load back then.  But literally, I wake in the morning, saunter downstairs, make breakfast, feed the cats, brew coffee, wash a few dishes and parade back upstairs only to discover that my pc-saurus has still not fully loaded all of the applications I need to successfully search for a new job.

And that noise.  Let me tell you.

It's like a T-Rex chasing a raptor through the jungle. 

I can't call it a hum, because it isn't that pleasant.  When it doesn't sound like a screeching raptor, it sounds like a falling brachiosaurus.  (Aren't I so clever with all my dino-knowledge?  Thanks Jurassic Park.)

But the sound is horrendous.  Yes, yes, I can go out and buy a new laptop, no problemo.  But I am being stubborn and trying to act like Cammy from the Block, like, y'know, I can still put up with the simpler things in life.  I don't need a fancy schmancy new laptop to look for a job because that would just be my way of making an excuse.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend