5 Things Unemployed Folks Are Lovin' That You're Not

Society makes it fairly easy to be unemployed.  And that's okay, of course.  My husband makes it fairly easy, too.  No demands.  Of course, the easiest way to survive a layoff is to prepare months and years in advance.  Not that I'm bein' all Preachy Preacherson, but.... it helps.

Last summer we stopped using credit cards. 

And some people don't think they can stop, but.... you can.  Ask Lloyd's socks.  It was time for some new ones for my boo, but we held out and those socks held on for dear life.  We ate more meals in, gave more excuses for not going out, and slowly started living within our means.  I won't lie.  It was annoying.  Window shopping made me want to pass out with despair and as I often did in my youth, I became resourceful and creative with my outfits.  Because no broad wants to be photographed in the same outfit twice.  Damn you Facebook.

And Thank God for that sense of responsibility then to prepare me for the now.  And of course we have had some lucky breaks too.  Tron got a raise, and I am shamelessly collecting unemployment.  And here are just 5 (more) bonuses to this whole unemployment thing (I promise to stop bragging about it soon...)

1.  Lunches.  Meeting my mom any dang day of the week I want.  And yesterday I met my dear sweet Amber for some very affordable soup and salad from the OG, and today I am off to Red Robin to catch up with yet more old friends.  Be jealous.  Be veeeeerrryyy jealous.

2. Trips.  Next week my mom and I are off to Laughlin for a "just coz" trip.  I will lie poolside and eat copious amounts of vacation foods with the woman who gave me life.  Thanks, mom!

3.  The tot-lot.  The tot-lot by my house looks like loads of fun.  My girlfriend who is in dire straights for a sitter tomorrow has asked me to watch her one and only- and I now have a very solid excuse for going to my neighborhood tot lot tomorrow!!

4.  The dishes are clean.  They are very clean.  The carpet is clean. The floors are (sorta') clean, and the clothes in my closet are obsessively organized. 

5.  Hope.  Oh yes, I am hopeful.  There is no bitterness about losing my job.  I will admit that I have been stalking a few of the hiring managers for positions I have interviewed for and want, but while I wait for one of those lucky managers to hire this chick, I will be lying poolside, hanging at the tot lot, and eating copious amounts of food off of very clean plates.  Eat that, all you gainfully employed folk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story