The Bully Crowd

7-3 again.

No, I lie.

It was more like 9-3.

Bullwinkle's was my second job and will always remain my most favorite...

I crept in at 9 or 10 every morning.   They weren't open at 7 a.m. which delighted me so.

I made the bestest friends there.  To this day we remain lifelong, wonderful soul-mates.

I even broke down the chola and made her learn to love me.

Yes. 

Rosie, I speak of you, girl.

Rosie was the token chola at Bullwinkle's and she would wear baggy chola t-shirts and one of them had a HUGE Tickle-Me-Elmo plastered on the front of it.

And there I waltzed in and up to her register and was likely doing cheer routines on my way in...

"HI!!! MY NAME IS CAMBRIA!! C-C-C-C-A-AA-M-MM-B-B-B-R-R-R-I-I-I-I-a' A-A-A-A!!!  WHAT'S THAT SPELLLLLLLLL????"

How annoying.

I would always wear my hair up with a bouncy fountain and rub glitter all over my cheeks and put ribbons in my hair.

It was completely bubbly and obnoxious and the Elmo chola despised me.

It took some time, but we fell in love.

And to this day I can't see Elmo and not think of her standing behind the register ignoring me when I would ask for change.  She would roll her eyes and continue counting her bills and making sure they all faced in the same direction.  Because despite being a chola, she was totally organized.

At Bullwinkle's I met Olivia, the pizza chef who was the chola's BFF and I broke her down pretty quickly too.  We're totally involved.

And I also met Denisse- sweet Denisse who shared my love for all things sparkly and was as "boy crazy" as me.

I met Alvin, who I was with the first time I went snowboarding.  And it was Alvin who yelled "JUST FALL!" when I was careening out of control down the mountain and didn't know how to stop.

I fell, giggled, and got back up.

Alvin used to call me "Quinn Morgandorfer" and would often say "You're so Quinn right now."

But James was the manager-manager although he never made us do much work.  THANKS, JAMES!

He never made us do ANYTHING aside from our general work duties and oftentimes we would sit in his office eating free pizza and cookies while gossiping.  He once tried to get all managerial and remove "games" from the work computer, but we totally reinstalled them.

It was James who took Ann Marie and I to see the Dixie Chicks in concert-

What a cool manager...

Ann Marie was my straight-laced friend who made me laugh.  It was so comforting to have someone indulge in customer's cakes in "The Birthday Room" with me.  And to wash down our cake we would bring in pitchers of fruit punch...

(It is really no wonder how I gained some solid kilos while working at Bully's...)

And after birthday parties most customers would tell us to "take some cake for ourselves" and of course we obliged them.  And for the ones that didn't offer us any of their cake?

We ate your cake anyway.

Natch.

Yep.  As we carried your cakes away (to box up) we would slip into "The Birthday Room" and totally steal slivers of cake off the sides.

We weren't even a little bit sorry about it.

And we totally didn't discriminate on what we ate...

... Some slivers of Dulce de Leche pastel.. slices off the Filipinos' "Purple Yum" cake and bits off the oh-so-decadent Costco confections....

To this day I am still a world class cake cutter and can totally cut around Barbie's face to save for the Birthday girl.

I'm just THAT awesome.

And over the 4 years I was at Bullwinkle's I saw some star-studded birthday childrens' names:  ... Mercedes, Princess, Destiny...

Please, dear people, STOP naming your children after strippers....

And so now you want to know about the Birthday Room.

The Birthday Room is where we kept everything colorful-

Balloons, Birthday cups and plates... napkins adorned with Sweet Bullwinke's face, plastic forks and boxes for left-over-cake-that-has-less-leftover-than-you'd-hoped-because-we-stole-some.

In the Birthday room we ate, drank, gossiped, hid from crazy customers and darted away from management who looked like they had an agenda.  And some of us even flirted shamelessly in the Birthday Room- (Darrel, I'm talking to YOU!! =)

And at Bullwinkle's I met countless other amazing people, including Mike, who looked like a homeboy but was totally the most straight-edged person I had ever met. Mike and I used to work out together sometimes when I was all gung-ho on getting fit after packing on the birthday cake pounds.
We ran up Euclid, we kayaked, and then would always splurge on fast food afterwards. Where are you Skiballs?  I miss you, homie.

And I can't forget you, Dear Diego, who always looked so professional in your work outfits (I'm a chick- the word 'uniform' is interchangeable with 'outfit'.)

Your outfits always looked freshly starched and creased.  A great sense of humor, but seriously... "PUT THE IRON DOWN, DIEGO!"

And of course I'm just bitter because I could never stay as tidy and professional-looking as you.

(I somehow always managed to wind up with cake and pizza grease all over my outfit.)

Holy Cow... There's no way I can fit all my Bullwinkle and Rocky Memories onto one blog... try again tomorrow!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was the greatest blog I've ever read!!!! I'm going to print it and save it in my memory box forever!!xoxo!luv Elmo
Diego said…
Wow.....you said it all. As I sit here in my starched and creased dress shirt I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I read this. You are so right about the birthday cakes! My favorite thing to do was dip into the generic Bullwinkle cakes in the freezer late at night as I was closing up.

What about the age old question: "what time is the show gonna start?" You smiled and said pretty soon when you knew damn well that it didn't work, and hadn't for months.

Remember that all you can eat buffet we tried? Not only were people ghetto enough to take food from it when they didn't pay, but they were ghetto enough to shoot down the hot air balloon we had tethered to the roof advertising it!
Lesley said…
Dude, I think I met you when you were working at Bullwinkle's. And I was at Edward's movie theater (I think even back then it was a discount theater?) in Upland! Oh, the days...

LOVED your characterization of the Elmo-loving chola. You can't make this stuff up.

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend