Sweet Eddie: A Dating Story

Sweet Eddie and I dated for about 3 months.

He was one of the sweetest and kindest people I had ever met.

I saw him one aternoon eating lunch while I was opening a restaurant.  He was so cute.

I pounced.

Figuratively, of course.

Over the next 3 months he taught me what it meant to be loved and adored.  He loved to cook for me and gave great foot rubs, which I'm a total sucker for.  Sweet Eddie wrote sweet sentiments on cards and letters to me, which I will read through from time to time.

But Eddie and I didn't have a lot in common.  We had little to talk about at times and I knew I would be leaving to open another restaurant in another state soon thereafter. 

Eddie went on to marry and divorce. 

And a few years ago, sweet Eddie took his own life.

I was saddened and shocked and my heart broke.

Sweet Eddie who had taught me not to settle for less than someone who would adore me.  Sweet Eddie who was a great big brother to his siblings.  Sweet Eddie who loved his mother despite her not loving him back.

And while I don't believe that taking your own life is a solution to anything, I know why sweet Eddie chose to leave us.

His mother did not have a memorial or funeral for him where friends and loved ones could mourn and celebrate who he was.  She used the insurance money she had collected to decorate her home.

And for anyone who has loved someone who has committed suicide you can't help but wonder what more you could have said and done. And there is no more.

I don't regret having met Sweet Eddie.  He changed my life.


I often think of Edward and how much more he deserved in life, and I pray that he is at peace somewhere he can feel what it is like to be adored and loved, just as he adored and loved others.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend