The Bully Crowd, Part 3

So...

As it goes...

Bullwinkle's was a great time and an even better job...

Most of you So-Calians know that Bullwinkle's failed to survive and is now known as "Boomers".

In French that is known as La'me.  In English it's called "Lame".

Boomers will never know how fun it was to be a part of a struggling business.

When you are struggling the employees are the last to know, but when the gauntlet drops we can all totally see why it got the axe.

I'm certain the strippers in Dudley's Den didn't help our cause.

Oh yes.

Strippers.

2 male strippers for my 21st birthday.


And when my amigas couldn't quite figure out where to have my surprise party it was Rosie who asked James, the manager, if we could have our party at the restaurant after hours.

And not long after the remnants of some toddler's birthday cake was wiped clean from the table were a dozen plus girls waving their hands, clapping enthusiastically and throwing all propriety out the window in said birthday room.

And to make it as VIP feeling as possible the bash was thrown in 'Dudley's Den', which, for you old-school Bullwinkle's crew, is the large room in the back of the restaurant.

I don't remember much about the strippers themselves except that it was their first gig and they had spent a number of hours in tanning beds, obviously in shorts, which left for some very awkward tan lines.  Naturally, these factors worked really well for goofballs like my friends and I.  The hilarity of the situation cannot be erased, come hell or high Alzheimers.

The cute ones name was Tim.  Where art thou' Timmy Tim?

Their not-so-well rehearsed dancing left me in tears and it was, by far my very best birthday ever. 

And so the strippers came and went and hopefully the room was sanitized well enough to serve birthday cake in the next day.  If not, oh well. 

It was also painfully obvious why the restaurant didn't survive for other reasons.

The food, perhaps?

No, not that it was bad.

In fact, it was quite good.  I'm talking the bomb-dot-com seasoned fries and greasy breadsticks.   The pizza was fabulicious and the desserts were.... mouth-watering (salavating commences...)

I mean the fact that we ate it for free.

No, I don't think that "free food" was in the Employee Handbook.

I think when I first started I totes paid the designated 50% price-tag, which is probably why I didn't gain weight right away.

But once I realized that all I had to do was walk into the kitchen and tell the cooks what to make me with a wink and a nod, VOILA!!   12 minutes later an "Oops" pizza.  "Oops" indicating it was something a 'customer' changed their mind about and therefore was left to die before us savvy employees came in to rescue it.  We're such good people.

And don't get me started on the million dollars worth of free arcade tokens I handed out over the years at Bullwinkle's.  Baggies of tokens to friends, family, cute guys, and people who happened to be close enough to me when I was packin' coins.

My nieces and nephews had it so good.  When I was their age, no one handed me baggies full of tokens.  Kids these days have it so much easier than when I was young.  You know I had to walk barefoot in the snow to obtain those tokens, right??

Come to think of it, over all the years I was 'earning' money at Bull's, I wonder if I don't somehow owe them money???

The Bully Crowd, Part 4 Comin'

Comments

Rosie said…
I'm so impressed with your blog once again! I love it! you're bringing back such amazing memories-so glad I was apart of the medieval times & queen mary trips too ;p
I think our stripper did a backstreet boys routine! Too funny!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend