Coffee Break

My dimples and Gemini spirit aren't the only things I got from my dad.

Oh no.

Like him, I am in El.Oh.Vee.Ee. with coffee.

I can even tell you about the VERY first time I had coffee, and how it's all daddy's fault that I fell in love.

We were at the Candlelight Pavilion- that dinner theatre in Claremont, Cali.  I was about 8 or 9. 

We had finished up with our dinner and at intermission the server came 'round offering bevvies and desserts.  My dad ordered coffee and because it sounded interesting, I ordered coffee, as well.

My dad immediately said "No", but it wasn't one of his very firm "No's" so I knew there was wiggle room.  I looked at my mom, who said I could have it and she gave my dad that reassuring look as if to suggest "She won't like it anyway...."

And daddy thought about it for a moment and gave-in.  And I just bet dad thought he was so clever and was setting up a Budweiser moment.

The Budweiser moment had occured many years prior, when I was just a wee thing.  My dad sat drinking one of his tall cans of Bud and offered me some.  Now, perhaps many of you are thinking this is a bit unorthodox, but let me tell you.... one sip off the 'Weiser and I was done.... for pretty much the rest of my life.

Granted, I like the occasional cold one- a Michelob Ultra with lime or a cocktail to move around in my hand on some random dance-floor, but... a "drinker" I am not. 

So daddy totally knew what he was doing.  So to Bill O'Reilly or anyone else who thinks that giving your young daughter Budwesier is detrimental to her well-being, I give you exhibit A- a well-adjusted 30-something with a clean driving record and fairly decent social skills.

But pops didn't realize that I might actually take a liking to the coffee.

I really, really did.

It came in one of those kettles and after my first cup I genrously helped myself to another.  When dad saw me going in for the third, he got all fatherly and put the kebosh on that.  I had my first coffee sweats and they were awesome.  I had so much energy! YAH! TADA!!  BOOM!!  ZOINK!!

So to this day I have an on-going love affair with espresso beans and steamed milk.  Several times in my life I have given up on the caffeine, much like now, and if I'm honest.... it's awful.

I'm bitter and filled with headache tension.  Each morning I pass the coffee machine and it looks at me- like is seriously LOOKING at me.  It looks so lonely.  It just wants to be touched.... would it kill me to just touch it a little?

But I don't want to enable the coffee machine.

"We're on a break"

We'll see how long it lasts....


Comments

Anonymous said…
Cam I love reading your blogs, they are so interesting to read and I just love to hear what you have to say next!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

Pancakes and Eggs