Tom & Mickie

Tom and Mickie are my aunt and uncle,

and I love them so.

This blog is for them.

Tom is my mom's brother and what I remember most fondly about Tom and Mickie growing up was Christmas day- many, many Christmas days.

They had a beautiful home that we went to every year on th 25th.  It was the kind of home I always wanted to have when I grew up...

What made their home special was that it was warm.  It felt like the kind of home that was lived in- the kind you can play in, hug in, and run through... and on at least one occasion run SMACK! into the sliding glass door whilst running from a sibling....

Mickie, a nurse, had a million apple symbols and decor throughout their home, paying homage to the phrase that "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away."  When I see apple decor, I think of you, Aunt Mickie.

My mother gave my aunt Mickie a gingerbread house one Christmas, and for many subsequent years aunt Mickie would retrieve that gingerbread house from her freezer to display on her dining table.  I always, always, always wanted to eat the gingerbread house... and it didn't occur to me that it probably wasn't a good idea after sitting for 365 days in a freezer.....

It still made my mouth water, though...

There were 2 beautiful Victorian-looking wingback chairs in their home.  And every Christmas, on one of those wingback chairs, sat my mother's mother.

When years had taken her energy and ability to walk much she took to sitting throughout the festivities.  Next to the wingback went the Christmas tree (although Mickie got tricky some years and put it in the family room.... right Mickie?).  And so Grandma Rodgers would sit there, with her brown-bear eyes and warm smile and watch us open gifts.  My siblings and I, when not running amok and  SMACKING! into the sliding glass door would lean in to hug her and talk with her.  We were probably hoping we could beckon a roll of coins from her.... she always had rolled coins....

I don't remember many of the gifts I received on Christmases of yore.... but one year I got a Hungry-Hungry Hippo and I sat on the floor and played with it for hours.... or at least until my legs were keen to run.... which likely led to me SMACKING! into a very clean sliding glass door.

When I see a Hungry-Hungry Hippo game I think of a young girl playing on Tom and Mickie's carpet.



Tom and Mickie always gave cash gifts.  Let's be honest... is there ever a better gift?

Even as a wee one I totally thumbs-upped the idea.  They always slipped the money into one of those very clever money cards.  I would read the card to be hospitable, but, in truth, I was just so interested in deciding what I would buy with my gift.

Every Christmas Mickie was in the kitchen.  We would ask her if she needed help, knowing she would always decline.  I still marvel at how she managed to have hot, delicious food prepared for 25+ people each year.  When I think of Christmas at Tom and Mickies, I picture my aunt standing in that kitchen... watching kids running amok, and peeking her head into an oven from time to time.

My Uncle Tom, ever the entertainer, could often be found behind his bar.  His boisterous voice bellowed through the house as he discussed politics and.... well.... all I remember is political noise.  I was young so it all sounded like Peanutes Gallery hogwash.  But my mom, the Democrat, and uncle Tommy, the Republican could totally hit octaves that are rare on this planet. 

Wingback chairs... gingerbread houses.... apples... political noise.... and hippos....

Will always make me think of Tom and Mickie... and I mean that all in a very good way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend