The 4 Roberts: A Dating Story

I have a decent memory for names, which is super helpful in my job.  I can quickly commit it to memory, and put the associations and puzzle pieces together.

This is why I remember my 4 Roberts.

The first Robert I dated was when I was 16- clingy Robert- the one from my days at Del Taco, remember?  Clingy Robert was Hispanic with dark locks and olive skin.  It was with clingy Robert that I went on my first ever bowling date.  It was the first time I realized that bowling lanes were slippery, and the first time I fell on my behind while, likely, trying to look adorable on a date.

My second Robert was best known as "Sweet Robbie".  Robbie was blonde, and for the life of me I can't remember where we met.  Sweet Robbie and I would hang out at his grandmother's house, although, ironically I never met his grandmother.  Sweet Robbie was quiet and we would spend many summer days in the pool at his grandmother's.  I don't even remember how and why we stopped seeing each other, but I think of Sweet Robbie when I head up to Lake Arrowhead where his grandmother lived.

My third Robert liked to be called "Rob" and we worked together in San Diego.  Rob was my "Cherub, Baby-Faced Robert" and I just bet he thought if people called him 'Rob' it would make him seem older-

but,

It didn't work- he totally looked like a Cherub, only thinner.  Rob and I had nothing in common, but he loved to take a girl to dinner and quite frankly, a girl's gotta' eat.  Rob was the kind of guy you wish you could make yourself like, but it just wasn't gonna' happen.  I remember it was baby-faced Rob who first took me to have sushi. I remember asking him what "eda-mame" was.... not realizing it was pronounced "eda-ma-may".  When I delight in a bowl of edamame, cherub Rob comes to mind.

My fourth and final Robert (assuming Robert Downey, Jr. and I don't have a steamy affair) was my favorite Robert.  Robert and I had been friends, and Robert was a good kisser.  Like, a really good kisser.  Robert spoke slowly and thoughtfully.  I felt comfortable with Robert # 4.  After a short time I realized Robert deserved better, and we stopped hanging out.  I don't know why... but I've never successfully been able to move someone who had been my friend, someone I'd known for years, from the friend zone. 

These are my 4 Roberts.  I'm fairly confident there aren't more in my history.  But, let's face it, I can't be that sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story