The Name Game- 20 Weeks

In high school I'm sure I talked almost exclusively about dancing, cheerleading, soccer and what was for lunch (seriously, I would think about it all day).

In college I talked about boys, college exams, annoying customers at Mimi's and more boys (seriously, I think they took up a lot of my thoughts and energy).

In my post-college years I talked about my career, my dreams for a house, whether marriage was in the cards for me and my career (seriously, it plagued me).

And after all those conversations manifested themselves into a reality I loved, I now find myself talking incessantly about being pregnant, becoming a mom and reflecting on what Mommy-and-Me classes the shorty and I will take (seriously, I can't wait to spend major Q.T. with my little buddy).

The conversations have turned to whether we are having a boy or girl (we don't know yet- I'd rather be surprised at the delivery, my husband is anxious to know now)... and what names we have picked out.

So as old-fashioned as it sounds, I am not sure what we will name our baby until we see him or her.  How can someone know without seeing that tiny face?

Okay, that's a half-lie.  We have a few names picked out, but we won't commit to one until we know whether the bean has a head full of hair or is pulling the Mr. Clean.  I won't know until I look into that face and see whether he or she has my nose or my husbands.  We can't name the tyke until we see whether he/she is alert or whether he/she is shy.  And I know that a baby changes looks over the first few years of their life, but I also know that there will be an overwhelming sense of identity the moment I see my baby.

With all that poetic reasoning said, I will confess that when people ask me what names we have picked out my butt sweats just a little.  In life, I am an open-book, and yet I find it to be the most intrusive question what I will name our spawn.  There is this 'fear' that someone will 'steal' my baby name.  And if they don't openly steal my baby's name, they will covertly share it with someone else who will snatch my name!!  I would just about rather have my identity stolen than have my baby's stolen (that's how good a mom I am already)

And so if I have a strong inkling that I will name my girl something, and then I have a boy... well then that name is up for grabs!  No!  The horror!  And vice-a-versa for the latter scenario. 

So please don't take it personal if I squirm a little when you ask me my baby names.  

Am I over-reacting???

Of course.

Did we just meet?

Comments

asugartan said…
ahhh Cam Bam...I love your reasoning!!!!! PS...totally makes complete sense!xoxoxox
Rachel said…
Awwww, CONGRATULATIONS!
What a blessing for you & your hubby!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Half-Year