Half

We're half-only folks.

I steal half my husband's wardrobe because it's just like, so comfy... even though his long socks drape over my feet with all their extra inches and his sweatshirts will sometimes drown me.

I steal half his food, even when I have already told him that "I'm not that hungry" and changed my mind.

And on half the bed we sleep.

I remember when we got our Cal-King.

We had upgraded from a Full, which meant we would have lots of room to roam on the new mattress.

I could sleep like a starfish every night, and Lloyd's long feet would fit on the bed for the first time ever.

But my starfish-lying dreams were soon out the window.

Because our pets quickly realized that the Cal-king is soooooooo soft and cushy.

I always end up in bed first with Penny at my feet.  And as Lloyd walks around to turn off all the lights, turn on the alarm, and get ready to join me, the cats beat him to the bed and lie in his spot.

"I have to be a contortionist to sleep in my own bed...." he says.

And as he maneuvers into a spot, I creep close, throw my arms over his chest and nestle into the crook of his neck. 

My swollen belly rests against his always-warm body and cats nestle against our legs. 

One half of the bed carries the weight of many.

And when our wee one is old enough to sleep with us, you'd best bet we will be all the more cramped and crowded on the Cal-King.

What's bigger than a King?

I think we need that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Pancakes and Eggs