Stuff About Pregnancy

"Pregnancy is a crap-shoot", my girlfriend said.  "You never know how your body will react to it."

My moderate-sized closet has been reduced to just a few pieces-

The things that fit me at just over 6 months pregnant.

I keep these pieces in the middle of the closet, within easy reach.  All of my other clothes of yester-month will wait patiently until I can fit in them again- God-willing that happens!

My shoes still fit.  I have read (and know) some women whose feet have grown at least a half-size during pregnancy- what would I do with all my cute 7.5 shoes?  My niece, Ariel would know what to do with them.

I am congested ALL the time.  I buy those industrial-sized boxes of Kleenex from Costco, and have one with me at all times.  This happens to some pregnant women, apparently.

My staple foods are carbs, proteins and TUMS.  Heartburn.  Heartburn.  Heartburn.  With almost every meal.  Not as bad as I've seen with some folks, but still a complete pain in the burning chest.

I've gained the normal amount of weight so far- about 15 pounds give or take and I'm fairly certain it's all belly and no behind.  What would I do with a wider bum?  Die, perhaps.

I always assumed I would be one of the few you read about that gain a whopping 90 pounds.  But again, it's a crapshoot- who knows how ones body will respond.

I have been in nesting mode for the last 6 weeks (already).  My house is an on-going project, and suddenly, I feel like all this stuff has to be taken care of NOW.  This is a bit sad for my husband, who generally has to do "the stuff".  There are tools lying about the house, and I am contemplating when I should wake my husband up on this holiday morning to give him the list of stuff I have for him to do today.

Pregnancy is really, really strange.

I have been following all the rules of pregnancy.  I had been eating pretty healthy until girl scout cookie season started.

Damn you, Thin Mints.

I do my "moderate exercise" about the house and with working.

And still,

I didn't pass my first Gestational Diabetes test.

I cried a little.

I will blame my doctor and the oatmeal with cranberries and bananas I had for brekkie that morning.

First of all, dear doctor, you really should tell your patients they are supposed to fast before the test. 

Second of all.... oatmeal?  I was totally thinking I was doing the right thing that morning by eating my usual breakfast of champs.  It wasn't until after my test came back "a little high" that I Googled how oatmeal can raise blood sugar for several hours.

(I'm sure the brown sugar I added didn't help, either.)

Do you know what that MEANS???

I have to go back and do the 3-HOUR TEST! My husband asked "does that mean you have to fast for 3 hours?"

No, it means I have to SIT in the medical lab for 3 hours.

And what's sad is that I am not sure that I am worried about having gestational diabetes or the fact that I potentially 'failed' a test.

(I'm a little obsessive about getting good grades).

I'll keep you posted on the next test results... but I'm not required to take the test again until my next mid-March appointment.

I'm totally gonna' study until then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Pancakes and Eggs