To Our Baby

I don't know that I have many hopes and dreams for you, because I haven't met you yet.

Your dad and will sometimes wonder whether you will be artsy and whimsical, or a serious athlete.  Will you love to play guitar as much as your dad and my dad before me and all your Dorado uncles?  Will you love to watch 'the football' and support the Albion team, even though they lose more than they win?

I wonder if you'll be shy like your daddy, or if you will be as chatty as me.  Will you dance like him, with 2 feet planted on the ground, and elbows moving all around?

Or will you pull out all your best moves, and be the first on the dance floor?

I wonder.

I look forward to getting to know you. 

I haven't wondered much what you will look like, but I do often wonder whether you will have your dad's nose or mine.  Will you have dimples like my dad and your dad's mom?  Maybe you'll get 4 dimples like me- you know the ones that show themselves a few times a year when my smile is just so.  They are a little strange, so maybe no one will ever notice.

I don't have many hopes and dreams for you, because those are for you to discover.  I think I have just one,

That you will be a compassionate human being, who loves the world and the people and animals and places in it.

(Oh, and that you don't start dating til' you're like, 25, and you don't want any weird tattoos or piercings.

Too much to ask?)




Comments

Lorrie said…
Compassion in your child is never too much to ask for! (:

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Pancakes and Eggs