Adventures in Baby Gifts

I felt overwhelmed after the baby shower.

A good overwhelmed.

Lots of pressies to sort through.... what room do pacifiers belong in?  The kitchen?  I have the need for things to have a place right now, because then the world will be perfect and there won't be any more wars or famine.

We opened up our Pack N' Play because it seemed like a harmless endeavor to put it together.  An hour later, we were reading the instructions again over in English, and then in French- because "cord slot" just didn't seem like the correct verbiage for anything a baby belonged in.

After an hour between the 2 of us, we seemed to finally have it together.  We're fairly certain our baby won't tumble out of it.

And as I sorted the last of the gifts, I took a look at the sling Sarah got us.  A piece of fabric that looks like a plus-size skirt. 

I tried the skirt on over my head and then over my shoulder and stuffed a teddy bear inside.  The teddy bear seemed to be suffocating.  I tried a different way, and the 10 ounce teddy bear tumbled out.  I gave it another fitting that somehow ended up looking like a sari draped over my head. 

Into the mirror I looked, scowling, unrecognizable in my ethnic headdress.

But, with all that said- it's super cute fabric.

How do the Bohemian women of the world and African ladies seem to make the slings look so fashionable and ergonomically-friendly?  I registered for a sling because I wanted to look that cool, too.

I WILL master the sling, or so help me, I WILL wear that plus-size skirt and own it.

As I lay awake the night after the shower I took stock of what I still needed...

.... diaper genie.... stroller.... changing pad..... batteries to replace the ones I stole from daddy's remote to put in the pack n' play's sound thingamabopper.... a "Slings for Dummies" handbook.... oh, and yogurt.  We ran out of yogurt.... I need to replace the fabric on the garden chairs....

My mind wanders. 

I'm a little crazy...

But aren't all moms?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend