The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

I once dated a really good dancer.

That wasn't his only strength.

In truth, he was one of thee absolute best dudes I ever made out with.  He was super funny, smart and we clicked right away.

But what struck me as odd was that, for the first time before and since, his good dancing skills didn't turn me off.  (For some reason, a man with too much swagger on the floor has always confused and frightened me a little.)  Oh, and I also don't like when they are so involved in their dancing that they forget you are on the floor with them.  Oh, and when they A. crowd you or B. use you as a prop.  Oh, and when they sing along to songs by female artists.  If you know all the lyrics to "I'm a Slave for You", that's both impressive and embarrassing.

(I really did have strange deal-breakers with men...)

So here was the first guy who I enjoyed dancing with that was actually a really good dancer.  He didn't crowd.  He didn't sweat profusely.  He didn't sing along to every Madonna song that blared.  He didn't contort his body into Jenga-like configurations or mechanically move his jaw with the palm of his hand.  There was no pretense..... no "look at me" factor which I loathe.  He didn't forget that we were dancing in that club together.

To the good dancer I am thankful for his ability to ease my mis-conception that all men who are "exceptional" dancers (at clubs) are probably self-involved douche-wads.  (Just, like, a whole lot of them).  There is, in fact, an exception to every rule.


He was a really cool dude.

The good dancer and I dated for a while.  It's hard to say how long, because in truth we were so much better as friends than anything else.  We were far too compatible and similar for any mystery or future together.

** But just a friendly 'FYI' to those dudes that use the floor as their own personal studio (we all know or see at least one in every club outting), keep this in mind while you writhe away and fashion your arms into Vogue-like poses: 

1.  There isn't a talent agent in the crowd watching you. 
2.  This isn't a segment of "Making of the Video".... 
3.  ... Nor is this an audition for "So You Think You Can Dance". 
4.  If you've ever inadvertently socked someone in the face while dancing, you are over-doing it
5.  You really should ask permission before grinding on a girl. 
6. What girl?  If you can't get a girl to dance with you it's probably because you look like Kung-Fu Panda out there, buddy.  You shouldn't have more moves than a 1984 U-Haul vehicle.  Scale it back a little, mon frere and you're golden.







Comments

Rachel said…
Loved this blog...had me crackin up! :0)
Jamie said…
If you ahppen to find another one of these.... single, of course, send him my way!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend