Holes

My mother and I stood in line at the baby boutique, ready to pay for Sayler's latest threads.

The saleslady with whom we had been conversing looked into the stroller at my perfect baby and asked, excitedly, "so are you going the get her ears pierced soon?"

I scrunched my face and looked at the imbecile behind the counter.

"No.  No, that's uh.... no, that's not going to happen anytime soon..." I responded, trying to keep my cool.

The woman looked disapointed and slightly shocked.  She made a fake smile, as though that would somehow erase what had just happened.

A seemingly innocuous question, indeed, but it bothered me just a little.
In truth I don't feel the need to put holes in my perfect daughter's ears.  How do I know she wants them there?  How could I stand the site of holding this sweet child o' mine while she unwittingly has a hole-puncher taken to her teeny lobes?

Many a George Michael fan have gone on to regret getting their own ears pierced for the sake of fashion, and I'll be darned if my small wonder would have to regret something her mother had done to her for the sake of vanity.

Okay- disclaimer time. 

If you had your daughter's ears pierced. BRAVO! I'm sure she looks amazing.  To each their own, I say.

But I am just a little old-fashioned, and,

okay,

like,

super-paranoid.

I have this nightmare where I get my daughter's ears pierced and then next she wants a spray tan and to be featured on an episode of "Toddlers and Tiaras" (which I have never seen, by the way, but the advert alone makes me cringe).
I am just not ready to make those kinds of choices for my daughter yet. 

(Oh, who am I kidding? If she doesn't like soccer or The Bachelorette we will have some serious problems...)

But with regard to something permanent that she has no opinion over while she is so small and precious I am a completely boring mother.  I am the mom that wants my baby to be a baby and for my little girl to be a little girl.  I want a perfect world for my perfect daughter that doesn't involve permanent holes in her perfect tiny ears.
Ohhhhhhh, in moments like this I just know I am a spaz with far too many ideals.

As we exited the store I pushed my perfect baby girl in her stroller and smiled warmly.  As we passed through the doorway I whispered in her ear "Don't even think about it".

Alas, in a few years she might ask me to get her ears pierced and we will re-visit the situation.  But for now... we will work on keeping her drool to a minimum and her perfect smile moments to a maximum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story