Jelly Shoes

My grandmother wore jelly shoes.

Do you remember them?

They were sold in small markets and pharmacies of yore.

Places like Denco, Gemco and... whatever else existed before Rite Aid and Walgreens and ended in "Co".


They were sold in different colors and often displayed on turning racks by the cash registers.

To Google the images for jelly shoes was enough to make my heart stop.

When their image appeared,

I saw my grandmother.

I saw her feet, squeezed in to the plastic shoes that were made to fit long, lithe, Cinderella feet. 

I don't remember if I ever owned my own pair, but I am certain I must have wanted my own, just like grandmas, simply because the memory of them is so vivid I cannot imagine why I would remember them so well unless they were on my wish list.

Perhaps right below pink and white L.A. gear.

(There was little I wanted "above" L.A. Gear, so this is why they would have been somewhere below...)

I remember many small details about those plastic, sweat-trapping, plastic "shoes",

and what I remember best is my sweet grandmother in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story