Lionel

The dance floor was empty. 

Where I come from, that's like... a sin.

The DJ started a new song, Lionel Richie's "All Night Long".

The song was perfect for a dance with my happy daughter.

We waded through the aisles of seats, and then,

we swayed, in unison.

Her large smile beamed with every rythmic beat. 

Then a problem happened.

My brother came to join us....



Last weekend we sent to celebrate my cousin, Laura's, wedding.  We had such an amazing time, and my daughter rallied all hours. She even loved dancing with everyone.

And when Lionel Richie came on it was literally such a safe song.  It wasn't a song about, like, shaking the damn thang, or hood rat, hood rat hootchie mamas and it wasn't one of my signature dance songs that require my arms to be free with a 4 foot perimeter to get cray-cray (think Christina Aguilera music before she became that weird orange color and she still combed her hair).

You know.... it was a good babymama and baby sway-to-music song.

But then...

Here comes Corbin.

He does that waltzing while walking toward the dance floor thing he does.

Sayler and I welcomed him in smiles, because, actually, he's like super fun to dance with.

But then the bastard stole my baby and like a good uncle did some fancy moves with her.

But then there I was....

baby-less,

dancing to "All Night Long" ALL BY MYSELF!
And there wasn't a good way to exit the scene gracefully...

And just so you don't think I'm over-dramatizing the situation (I'd NEVER!) I'm gonna' need you to try to hear that song in your head for a moment so you can just totally see how no one can effectively dance to that tune, SOLO, no less, without looking like a drunk lady on a cruise ship. (See link below)

Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long" Video...

So while the song was great for me and my wee babe, it was a no-no for a solo 30-something who's trying to prove to everyone that, despite being 5 months post-partum, she still has the moves. 

So while they giggled together, I awkwardly swayed by my lonesome looking like a right arsehole, the whole time praying the DJ could manage to do a remix of Lionel Ritchie with like, Notorious B.I.G.

It didn't happen.

I still can't shake the horror of the way my arms must have looked, awkwardly clapping while doing a pseudo-electric slide move patiently waiting for the song to end...

The memory will haunt me for years....

But my daughter was happy.... laughing all the while on the floor...

And normally I swear that I would be selfless and totally take comfort in that alone, but I am super sure that that baby girl was laughing at me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

Pancakes and Eggs