Letters of Love: Double Take

It was almost a year ago that I was disappointed in my husband.

And fortunately for our family, it is rare that he disappoints me.

In fact,

He generally does the opposite of disappoint.... what is that?  ...Appoint?  He appoints me??

No,

That doesn't sound right.

But if it's the opposite,

Than baby, you appoint me.

But last year I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I was definitely not appointed.


They say still waters run deep, and it couldn't be more true about my dear husband.

His ego is small, his heart is huge and although he doesn't always say what he is feeling, you can feel what he is saying.

And each year I look forward to the few annual occasions when my beloved picks out the perfect Hallmark card for me that puts into words his love for me.

Sometimes the card is romantic and sweet, othertimes over-sized like that of a teenager in love, and most often it is witty and endearing.

But it never fails to bring a tear to my eye and truly, truly appoint me.  It is always a card that seems to be designed just for us...

and Lloyd will add his own words to the card,

in his perfect, imperfect script.

The tenderness and honesty of his own words added inside speaks to my heart,

and reminds me of how much I love him.

But last year on our wedding anniversary I eagerly tore open the card he had carefully picked out.  I couldn't wait to see which perfect sentiment he had chosen from the aisle of endless possibilities. 

From the corner of my eye I could see him watching and awaiting my reaction.

But as I started to pull the card out of it's envelope I slowly realized that I was about to be disappointed.

I was confused....

he could see it...

Was this a joke?  I wondered...

I looked at him,

back at the card as I proceeded to pull it from it's colorful enclosure, still completely perplexed.

His look of anticipation went to that of concern...

"What?  What did I do wrong?" His inquisition was full of sadness, knowing that he had somehow upset me.

"Lloyd... you already got me this card.... last year for our anniversary..."

"I KNEW IT! I KNEW it looked familiar!"  He shook his head emphatically, clearly disheartened that that which I looked forward to each holiday was a moment ruined.  Dismayed and broken he continued... "it just seemed so much like the perfect card... like us... it's no wonder I picked it out twice."

His apologies carried on for several days,

Even months....

And today marks a week from our anniversary...

And, of course, I look forward to getting my annual Anniversary card... 

And this year,

oddly enough,









there is a small part of me that hopes he is able to find that card again, in the aisle of endless possibilities of some mass-produced card section of some very commercial store....

Because it turns out,

That,

like finding the perfect someone,

There's nothing wrong

with having the same year after year.

I don't need the new,

the same has been,

and always will be,

Perfect.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story