That Martial Arts Guy: A Dating Story

That martial arts guy was super-duper cute.

We met while I was at the tender age of 19.

It was on the dancefloor of Rox Club in Riverside which means...

We must have met on a Wednesday.

Steve was half Japanese so it only made sense that he was also avid in martial arts.  I think it was Jiu-Jitsu.

Who knows?

I just remember having a rare bold moment when I approached him on that too-small dance-floor.

We dated for a few weeks.

I remember just knowing he was way more than I'd ever be able to handle.

He seemed so grown-up at a time when I still felt so incredibly young.

And I was hung-up on someone else at the time,

so it wasn't like Steve would have had the best of me anyway.

But it was Steve that made me look forward to growing up,

And making lots of questionable decisions,

and dancing the night away with friends on a too-small dance floor and feeling bold enough to

approach someone that, quite frankly, I just thought was way out of my league.

That rare surge of confidence,

That's what I owe to Steve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story