The Potty Train

It's true, isn't it?

I am such a cliche mom that finds conversations about potty training utterly fascinating and life-altering.... yes, that's me.

And the things that once would have ta-otally grossed me out no longer ta-otally gross me out.

I've seen it all... and my kid's not even quite 2 yet.

And what has the little prodigy been up to lately?

Too, too, too much.

But the greatest and oddest is that my daughter is potty training...

Herself.

Because Lawd knows I am so busy I can barely find time to wash and condition my hair that I continually weigh the potential benefits of a 2-in-1 and ponder whether I shouldnt just pour my coffee over my cereal so I can cram eating and drinking each a.m. into one feat.

My daughter, on some level, must have acknowledged that mommy wasn't going to take on the task of potty training anytime soon so she took the initiative herself at 21 months.

Admittedly, Sayler's been quite the exhibitionist for some time, which makes my modest mother balk.  Lloyd and I have just about given up on putting clothes on our otherwise-precious daughter.  As soon as they go on, just as quickly we find them scattered on the floors of our home, diaper and all.  It's quite exhausting chasing an 18 month old around trying to explain how naked isn't okay.

This sense of independence and self-expression has, at least, allowed our daughter to explore the green frog potty at her leisure without the confines of a Pamper's or cloth diaper to remove.

And so,

Over the course of the past 2 weeks Say has decidely started using the potty in the ways that the green frog potty designers intended it.

We marvel at her intelligence and determiniation.

I delight in her ability to acknowledge that I might have procrastinated potty training until just before Junior Prom.

It's not that I'm a bad mother. (Wow, I certainly hope so anyway)

But...

One thing about our daughter...

From the day we brought her home from the hospital,

Is that she doesn't like to wait.

Anything the big kids can do,

She will have at it.

She will give it a go,

She will join in,

She will copy,

She will lead,

She will focus,

Stare intently,

Analyze,

And Conquer.

That's our girl.  That's our Sayler.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Half-Year