Kierkegaard

I read this today while sipping on fresh coffee and avoiding the masses of messes to be slayed on this beautiful Saturday morning.

Try not to be too impressed. I preceded my morning Kierkegaard reading with time on Facebook and Whatsapp.  Social networking that many call a waste of time. 

Facebook and Whatsapp? Not time wasted. Connecting with people I care for? Starting my day with a dose of humor and camaraderie? Not time wasted.  Dropping lines of communication to people to remind them I value them? Not time wasted.  Though it is all relative to each of us, isn't it? 

And this little Kierkegaard quote was an extra lovely revelation among my time spent social networking. 

The Christian-abiding Kierkegaard who examines existence and meaning; whose notions I value as equally as atheist Sartre's opinions. Examination of existence and purpose?  A little heavy before 9 a.m.? 

"What I really need is to get clear about what I must do, not what I must know, except insofar as knowledge must precede every act. What matters is to find a purpose, to see what it really is that God wills that I shall do; the crucial thing is to find a truth which is truth for me, to find the idea for which I am willing to live and die. (...) I certainly do not deny that I still accept an imperative of knowledge and that through it men may be influenced, but then it must come alive in me, and this is what I now recognize as the most important of all."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Like a snowball.... on the ocean