Ickys

Sayler was sick.

The last few days her lethargy and missing spark was concerning, but the most relieving moment came when she vomited on me and Lloyd. 

Rubbing her back and telling her she was doing a great job as she projectiled her illness onto our blankets and sheets meant she was on a road to recovery. 

"That's it, baby- get out all the ickys... You're doing a great job..."

It was a soothing relief for worried parents. 

"What if it's Ebola?"

Lloyd's nonsense inquiry made me scoff (though quietly consider the possibility).

That's what a sudden illness does to parents. 

It makes us consider all the possibilities. 

But after 3 days trooping along the way she does when she is under the weather- complaining not- denying anything is wrong until the moment she cannot mask the dull ache in her tummy...

She vomited.

And it came out in an angry force, full, exhaustingly, and with no control over the pieces that landed in our hair and atop our duvet. 

And she was, almost immediately, better. 

This morning her face gave me joy.  The way she quietly rubbed my arm, perhaps as a way of showing unnecessary gratitude for aiding in her recovery.  The way she held me close and said " I love you, too" after I professed my devotion to her. 

It's good to have this little girl back.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story