Pete.

Pete, I thought of you as I stood in a confusing aisle at Target.  I thought of you and a lot of condoms.

I was looking for curlers.

All I saw were hot tools sure to burn my fingers and hands and neck the way they always do.  I was looking for the big, old- fashioned curlers that the gals wore in the 50's.  The ones that wouldn't scald my delicate skin. I knew Maria would know if she was with me.

And then it happened.

I had this random memory of you and Maria and I shopping at Target over 15 years ago.

On the eve of my departure to Spain the 3 of us had gone trolling through the aisles of Target so I could buy all the things I would need for a semester away from a Target.

And then it happened sometime before check-out.

I discovered lots and lots of condoms in my shopping cart.

I was mortified.  And then there you were, laughing.

That is you. 

You're wickedly humorous at others' expense, dumping lots of STD-avoiding mechanisms into my cart while I wasn't looking.

Perhaps that's exactly why you are a comedian today. 

And the sweetness of many other memories came to mind then, of you and I, close friends who've never dated and yet shared many moments together from when we first met at age 11 (and disliked each other to the point of complete disdain) to finally becoming good friends.

I still have a hand-made Valentine's Day card from you that you made for me while at Communion, complete with a doilie fringe and until recently had a dress you bought me for my 20th birthday- still one of the only clothing items a guy has picked out for me. How did you know  it was just my size and style?

I remember all the girls you dated who weren't right for you, and the ones who still aren't. I remember visits to your apartment parties- always a new apartment- always a party- always the only one not drinking.   How hipster of you. 

Just wanted to write this to let you know I see you.  Like, literally, all over Facebook I see you because you post every N'Sync anecdote and post all the comedy clubs you're making people laugh in. 😉

I remember your mom's favorite Backstreet Boys song and I remember you with your jaw wired shut... Twice!

That was a lot of smoothies...

I remember cheering for you at so many baseball games and I will always remember not to call you if I go through a break-up because you're surprisingly very unsympathetic. 😙 And even though I am a bad friend who doesn't come to your shows despite all my best intentions (it's an abhorrence for driving) I think of you and love you and am very proud of you. 

See you at a Dodger game,

Cambria 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story