Aleppo

"mommy can I have ice cream?".... ""When can I have ice cream?"... "Will I have ice cream today?..."

Not quite 11:00 a.m. and my eldest can't seem to process there will not be ice cream in her immediate future. 

I pondered the harmfulness of ice cream so early.  

I battered the idea in my head as I savored away, attempting to steer her appetite "do you want a taco?"

"No... Five year olds don't like tacos..."

As I carefully bit into my golden corn tortilla, beef and cheese tumbled out. 

I wondered if she would like *my tacos.

I was quite proud of them.

My mom makes good tacos.

Lloyd makes good tacos.

And you know what? 

I make damn good tacos.

Heavy on aleppo chile seasoning and porcini powder, I cooked for no one but myself, perhaps subconsciously aware that if they were just spicy and savory enough I wouldn't have to share the leftovers.i 

Sayler was right that her five-year old sensibilities would not like my tacos.

I contemplated eating a fourth taco on her behalf....

How many miles would I have to run for a fourth taco?.... 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

Like a snowball.... on the ocean