Baby


I held you in the dark,
moonlight filtering through the blinds,
our heartbeats connected.

I smiled widely, and in a moment of whimsy whispered "you're my favorite".

And I laughed quietly as you rested your body against mine; we swayed side to side.

To be clear: I don't have a favorite.

But I said it in good humor, a joke shared between you and I that I would later share with your sister. 

And though you couldn't understand the untrue words that I whispered I know it's never too early to share inside jokes. 

I know these days are passing too quickly. 

I know hugging you tight, planting kisses and more kisses across your sweet cheeks is a serotonin boost to my soul. 

Baby,

I love you. 

I love your mullet, and the bald spot just above it where hair is starting to fill-in. 

I love your easy-going disposition and your perfect smile. 

I Iove the way your eyes light up when you see me. 

I love watching you watching your sister; earnestly gazing... smiling... patiently observing her; allowing her to smother you- your little mommy.

The two of you dividing my attention and multiplying my devotions and love and Zen and sense of peace and desire to be a better mother. 

Everything is better because of you. 

Literally... Everything.

Baby,

My baby,

You've had an eventful week:

First time on a sandy beach. First tooth. First avocado. First crawl. First inside joke. 


Not quite 6 months old and already making me so proud, so joyful, so grateful. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend