Funeral

I looked up from my phone.

I saw the flashing lights from my periphery- a motorcycle cop passing by the school.

I was sitting in my car- a hot day keeping me patiently seated behind the comforts of the blasting AC while waiting for the school bell to ring so I could collect Sayler.

I was reading this story: http://4.nbcla.com/975hphw

When my attentions were diverted to the funeral procession.

My heart stopped for a moment.

I sat gazing.

Watching each vehicle in the procession pass slowly by the elementary school.

To my right, my daughter safely sat in class; to my left, grieving family and friends in their vehicles.

The dichotomy struck me.

I became sadly numb- the sense of loss penetrating through the confines of this vessel with the welcoming breeze from air vents breezing past my face.

I am alive.

Sometimes these reminders strike me in ways that are hard to explain as I fumble through days full of common core kinder realities and diaper changes and my children's many milestones...

I am alive.

Today I will let this reminder linger so that I may live; for my family, for my friends, for myself.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Militant Guest:

Like a snowball.... on the ocean