A’bu

She said “A’bu” as she pulled the door shut behind her.

It was her way of leaving me in peace, with a lasting sentiment upon her departure. 

“A’bu”, she said, to follow my own “love you”.

I smiled.

The same sleepy half-smile that is always kept on reserve for when Alana does, or says, something unexpectedly sweet and endearing. 

Was this her first formal “I love you”?  Yes. I’m certain it was. 

It was clear as day.  It was yet another sweet touch to her profoundly active and wide vocabulary. 

From simple words like “spider” to complex questions like “where’dgo” our youngest is quickly asserting herself as a clear communicator.

You’ll know when she wants to watch TV- her hand twisting upwards while inquiring: “wher’mo?” As she scans the couches and tabletops in search of remote control. 

And it’s always the same show...

“Cocoyo” she demands-  which sounds remarkably close to “Pocoyo”- the title of her favorite cartoon.

Alana loves to jump- and she prefers to do it with
Her sister- yelling “SAYER!!!!” repeatedly until her elder sibling joins her in the indoor bounce house (our best investment, ever, btw). 

And Sayler (almost) always indulges her sister.  

Sigh....

And now I must run (my kids just found me attempting to have enough quiet time to myself to think and write). 

But I won’t complain. I’ll smile the same sleepy half smile as the kids pile around me and I attempt to finish these last words while begging them to “go find daddy” downstairs.

(It’s not working-they’re still here). 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Like a snowball.... on the ocean