Hey Girl

Alana.

You’re two.

I don’t know exactly where the time has gone. 

I hear the pitter patter of your size 7 foot running across the tile. 

I smile.

It’s daddy’s night to put you and Sayler to sleep.  I am resting comfortably in my own bed.  

He is losing his authority.

And it makes me smile.

Him telling you to get back into bed.

The pitter patter of your feet running back to your room before he catches you. 

This is Your current nightly game.

Falling asleep requires you being held close.

A bottle (because we’re awful parents and you still take a bottle) to fall asleep.

And when that bottle finishes you always need another. 

And when we get up to get you another- you follow us to the kitchen though we always tell you to “stay here”. 

The pitter patter of your feet across the tile.

Then again as you run back to your room.

I am amazed by you every day.

You can communicate better than any other 2 year old I know- and I’m not saying that to brag.

Rather- just to let you know that talking is clearly one of your strengths.

“Sayler scare me” you’ll often say when Sayler attempts to frighten you.

“Mommy go away” when I’ve caught you doing something you shouldn’t.

“Daddy, go walk” when you’re ready for a stroll.

But I have to selfishly say one of my favorite things about you is that....

You’re tidy! 

I’ve never known another toddler who so willingly cleans up after themself! 

You’ll put away toys after you’ve played with them.

You will wipe away “icky” things from the floor.

And you’ll even peel your orange over the trash can.

I say “Thank you, Jesus” for giving me a tidy child.


Second birthday:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Like a snowball.... on the ocean