The Reorg: Week 3

My mom walked in the door at 8 a.m.

I had forgotten she was coming.

Coming to help me.

Coming to take my daughter to summer camp. 

She sat next to me on the couch making small talk about home appraisals and the lunch she had the day before my with my half-sister, Diana. 

Then she asked why my eyes were bloodshot. 

And I cried.

And I had cried not a couple hours before as my husband left the house with our baby in arms- taking her to school and himself to work.

During this re-org, sometimes I cry. 

And I will receive a call from my colleague Lester and he’ll tell me everything I need to hear. 

Things about trust, friendships, loyalties and opportunities. And he’ll stay on the phone with me though he has less time than anyone. And his sincerity reaches me. 

And I’ll receive an email from my colleague Pam who will get me back in focus.  

And I’ll receive a picture from my sister- a picture that shows her happy daughter playing soccer in a championship game in Washington state.

And I’ll have breakfast with Pietro and he’ll look at my face and know exactly how I’m feeling and he’ll say it out loud.  And he’ll give me advice.

Great advice.  Advice that feels selfish.  Advice I ruminate on. Advice that reminds me I need to see things for what they are. 

And my friends will text me. 

They’ll ask me if we’re still on for dinner.

Because they’re the best people and they don’t know about corporate reorganizations and I f#cking love that.  

I love that.

I love that their stresses are no less significant and yet so much different and so, for a few hours, we will laugh our f#cking asses off because we are none the wiser.

I love that. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend