Letters of Love Part 4: The Memento

My mom and I cleaned out a room.

The room Ariel and I painted and decorated a few years ago as a surprise for her.

The room that has become the catch all for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere in her home.

In that room lies Christmas decorations, luggage, a massage table, books, books, and more books.  There are a dozen Vanity fair magazines and over 300 movies- most of them classics.  There is a record player and those plastic tubs you buy after the holidays in an effort to get organized, only to find that you stuff all kinds of other stuff that has been lost in time.

In one of those tubs, tucked away was a letter to my mom, typed nearly 10 years ago. 

Dear Mrs. Dorado


On behalf of the Inland Eye & Tissue Bank I want to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your husband, Charles.  I am always touched by the unselfish generosity of people that have just suffered a loss and are still thinking of helping others.


I do hope that it gives you and your family some comfort to know that through the donation of your husband's bone and tendon tissue, as many as fifty people who may have suffered traumatic injuries, degenerative disease or cancerous tumors will be helped.  The gift of mobility and freedom from pain is truly a blessing.


On behalf of these individuals please accept my profound gratitude. 


Sincereley,
.....

Executive Director- Inland Eye and Tissue Bank

My dad never owned much, and when he passed there was little to want beyond the memories...  I took his ponchos that I would wear throughout high school... my brother got my grandmother's China- the China my father bought for his mother while stationed in Japan and sent home to her.  My other brother got his Gretsch guitar, my sister his saxophone.  My uncle got his cowboy boots, my other sisters got photos and mementos.

But I just got the best memento- this letter that was tucked away and reminds me how much my father loved others and lives on in this world.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, your father was a great man!

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Thank You, My Friend