You Had Me at Artax

(Written September 11, 2010)



I guess in thinking back there was another indication I was pregnant on the night I sat with my girlfriends talking about movies...

I wasn't the one that brought it up.  I think it was Sara.  But what most people don't know about me is that the "Neverending Story" pretty much always chokes me up.

Most people remember the cute, flying dog.  Or they know all about Atreyu and the cute kid from 'The Wonder Years'.  But everytime that movie comes to mind all I can picture is the overwhelming sadness I felt when Artax was lost to the quicksand.

(Totally tearing up right now, in factoid).

So while we sat there, I started the well-up.  I laughed as loud as I could through my tears in an effort to counter-balance the sad juju that was busting through me at the seams.  Like how there is more strength in numbers, or when you get multiple Care Bears to stand together and do the "Care Bear Stare".

Oddly, my theory was disproven as the louder I laughed the harder the tears fell.  All I could hear was:

"Come on Artax, what's the matter? What's wrong? Come on boy! I understand, it's too difficult ... Come on turn around, you have to! Now ! Come on! Artax !"

Oh my gosh.  This is all I can type.  Must. Get. A. Tissue.

(I'm back.... 4 months later...  Completed January 8, 2011)

The girls and I were on a weekend getaway to San Diego.  We sat in the dark night with an ocean view behind us and told stories.  I had told my bestests that Lloyd and I were working on expanding our family of 2, still unaware we had been successful in that mission.

As I burst into tears at the thought of Artax sinking into the mud, Amber leaned toward me closely and whispered "Okay.... I think you're pregnant."

I didn't think it was remotely possible that I could be less than a week pregnant and have any unusual emotional outbursts and give any indications to outsiders that I was baking an egg.

So before anyone officially knew... Amber knew.

I was in denial.

(Honestly though friends, in the future, pregnant or not, let's try to avoid discussing "The Neverending Story".....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story

Half-Year