Ms. Rine

Ms. Rine,

I have looked for you online.

Most of my closest friends know I am quite the online sleuth, capable of tracking down all ghosts of boyfriends and crushes past.

But I can't find you.

It was many years ago.

Many, many years ago in a first grade classroom we met.

You were my teacher and I loved you.

And it's true I had a deep fondness for just about all of my elementary school teachers, but you did and you do hold a very special place in my heart.

I was only 6 years old, but I remember you well.

I remember the Snicker bar you gave me once after I helped you erase the chalkboards after school.  You always let me help you erase the chalkboard.

And I remember you gave me my very first lunchbox.

I had always wanted a lunch box, but they were a bit of a luxury in my house and I hadn't had one before or anytime after that metal Kermit the Frog pail.

And it wasn't a brand new lunch box.

I remember it was used and I somehow put it together in my mind that you might have given me a used lunch box so as not to seem like I was a favorite of yours.

And it's okay if I was your favorite.

I needed to be your favorite at that time in my life.

Thank you for making me your favorite.

It's odd...perhaps even creepy,

how often you cross my mind.

I wonder how you are doing.

I wonder if you went on to teach many years more.

I wonder if you married and had children.

I wish I could remember your first name so I could use my super-stealth search parameters to track you down to send you a letter.

In that letter I would thank you for the lunch box.

I would thank you for the Snicker bar.

I would thank you for being an inspiration to me and caring for me.

I would thank you for letting me believe in all the years since I was 6,

I was your favorite.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My partner and I absolutely love your blog and
find most of your post's to be just what I'm looking
for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome website!
Visit my blog cheap jerseys

Popular posts from this blog

"Dear Bobby"

Thank You, My Friend

The Good Dancer: A Dating Story